Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Happy New Year! The first time Sister Tuisku and I had to write down 2012 we just stopped and stared at each other, I can't believe December went so fast! And to ring in the new year right we have had snow DUMPED on us! So I was very grateful for the green Christmas but I think my time of "warm" weather is very much over.
Yes your celebration was rather different than mine. We had to be back in the apartment at 6, so we had a fantastic meal of steak and mashed potatoes to celebrate and then I wrote in my diary and fell asleep around 9. Best new year ever, though i did miss year old dip with Melissa and sparkling cider, we totally forgot to pick some up.

This week was interesting. I had a moment yesterday when I was shoveling out the car when I realized that if I had really controled my life, Owen Sound Ontario is literally the last place on Earth I would be. I'd probably be living in Austin, with only 1 year left till I finished my degree in who knows what, enjoying the heat and having no clue what it's like to live in snow. But I'm not in control, I let Heavenly Father pick my school, my degree, and send me on my mission. I also realized it's super super weird that I was raised in Houston Texas in preparation to serve a mission in Canada, that makes zero sense to me! And yet here I am, freezing cold and wading through snow halfway up my shin, and TOTALLY happy. It makes no sense, but I'm grateful the Lord knows me better than I know myself and has directed my life.

We did not get to see Lynda this week, but we had some aMAZING talks with her on the phone. The only time Sister Tuisku has ever answered the phone and I wasn't in the room to hear it, she called to tell us that she prayed about Joseph Smith and had this amazing sense of peace wash over her and she knew he was a prophet. I came out of the bathroom and Sister Tuisku was at the table almost in tears and just beaming, I was so sad i missed that call! But I'm thrilled for her, she's awesome. The only problem is we haven't gotten to talk to her since, so we're praying we get to see her soon. Steve and Chris are both doing great, although neither came to church this Sunday because of New Years. So we're really really praying all 3 of them can come this Sunday, that would be an incredible miracle and blessing! We also might have a new investigator, his name is Ross. He's someone we contacted from the former investigators list in the area book, yesterday we went in and talked with him for about 30 minutes and were able to share the first vision with him. He agreed to read the introduction to the book of mormon and pray about Joseph Smith and said we can drop by sometime next week, so that's exciting. And we actually have 3 appointments this week with potential investigators, which is amazing! One of them we OYMed on the street and 2 are from the formers list. They all seem really sincere, and one of them was super adorable! She hugged us and said she has her own religion but she'd love to hear our point of view so come by as soon as we can, so we're looking forward to seeing her.
This upcoming week Sister Tuisku and I decided to torture ourselves and read the entire Book of Mormon. We started yeasterday, and when I write to you next Monday I'll be done. We wake up at 5:30 and read for an hour, and then try to read anytime we have a spare moment in the car or at meals. It's actually so far hasn't been as bad as I thought, we only have to read about 76 pages a day. I just finished Words of Mormon so I'm on track to do it, I just have to read 3 more chapters today. But we've decided that we could really use the power that comes from reading it this week, Sister Tuisku knows some Sisters who did it once and had miracles just pour out that week, so we're having faith that we'll see the miracles we need too. I really like reading it nonstop, it really solidifies the history andorder of stories in the book, which wasn't something I expected to get from this challenge but it's been helpful. It's also hard though because I want to stop and really study some thing I'm reading and I can't, so I'm making a list of chapters to go back and study next week.

I think that's about it! I'm cold but I'm not sick, my awesome ward mission leader lectured me about zipping up my coat so I'm being well watched over.I don't know if you're going to make another attempt at heading to Utah, but have fun if you do. I'm sorry I didn't get to send pictures last week, I really will this time! I love you all and hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment